Putin proposes yearlong extension of nuclear treaty with U.S.

MOSCOW – On Friday, Russian President Vladimir Putin released a clear appeal to save the world and the U.S. the last existing NPT, seeking an extension of it by a minimum of one year.

Putin's declaration arrives in contradictory signs to the fate of the New START Pact, which expires in February by Russian and US negotiators unless Moscow and Washington consent to extend.

At his Security Council meeting, Putin said that "the Treaty's ending without being substituted by a fundamental document of its nature will be exceedingly regrettable."

"Throughout these years the Fresh START has managed to restrict and suppress an arms race," he added.

America concluded the New Launch Deal in 2010.

President Barack Obama and Dmitry Medvedev of Russia.

The deal restricts specific countries to no more than 1,550 nuclear warheads and 700 rockets and bombers installed, and allows for comprehensive on-site monitoring to ensure conformity.

Following the removal last year of the Nuclear Powers Treaties of 1987 by both Moscow and Washington, New START is now the only Nuclear Weapons Reduction Pact for both Nations.

Russia recently proposed an extension without restrictions for five years, although the US government pressed for a fresh arms control deal including China.

Moscow has found the proposal unfeasible, reflecting Beijing 's denial of any agreement reducing its far reduced nuclear arsenal.

Putin offered on Friday to "expand the current Treaty without conditions for a minimum of one year" so that the "substantive dialogs" will be feasible, instructed by Russian Minister of Foreign Affairs Sergey Lavrov for the swift response to the bid.

Lavrov expressed skeptical at a New START agreement earlier this week, stating that Russia can not recognize the requirements for its extension set by the United States.

Russia can not support the plan to restrict nuclear warfares amid nuclear missiles armed by offensive rockets and bombers until the United States has decided to remove its nuclear conventional arms from Europe, according to Lavrov.

He also found that while inspectors were positioned in missile plants Moscow did not approve US application for invasive testing steps such as those in the 1990s.

For broke news and policy, download the NBC News app

Lavrov's negative opinion clashed with U.S. negotiators who claimed the agreement was really similar to Moscow and Washington.

"We will accept the chance to find a consensus on understandings during the past few weeks on how to expand the new START and the result of the new START to the whole world, enhancing the security and stability of the world's most lethal weapons," U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Wednesday.

"I hope the Russians can find a way to compromise on a result that I truly feel is in their best interest and our best interest," said Pompeo, before sharing a hope that China can finally also engage in negotiations.

The US diplomat Marshall Billingslea, a US arms-control ambassador to PresidentDonald Trump, said the meeting made "significant development," after the last round of talks in Helsinki earlier this month.

Advertisement