Arrest made in 2008 kidnapping of journalists in Afghanistan

NEW YORK (AP) — In 2008, a photographer, an Afghan journalist and driver in Afghanistan was abducted by an Afghan individual in the United States on Wednesday by the federal government.

In a six-count indictment in Manhattan 's federal tribunal, Haji Najibullah, 42, was unsealed.

He appeared immediately at an electronically held trial due to the coronavirus, at which he was ordered by a US judge who refused to petition for bail following his counsel, Mr. Mark Gombiner.

A message asking for a response Gombiner did not reply.

A prosecutor said that on Tuesday the Ukraine took Najibullah to the United States for allegations of taking captives, conspiracy and abduction.

Where or when he was first detained was not informed by officials, but the Ukrainian authorities were praised in release for support in his detention and relocation.

He would face life in jail if sentenced.

The abduction victims did not come from officials. However, the description was compatible with the abduction of the Times' David Rohde and Afghan Tahir Ludin while questioning a Taliban representative.

In Pakistan's tribal areas more than seven months after their abduction, they have both fled dramatically from a Taliban run complex.

Asadullah Mangal, their cab, was the third survivor of the abduction and fled some weeks after Ludin and Rohde.

According to an allegation, Najibullah was among a number of abducers who were armored with machine guns that took men hostage before pushing them to walk from Afghanistan to Pakistan five days later.

Najibullah and other kidnappers pressured the victims to make several calls and videos that they were awaiting assistance during their detention, pressuring the family of Rohde to collect payment and to free the Taliban in the US.

It was claimed that Najibullah and others had coerced the victim to make, while masking, gun-turned wardens, at least three videos in which they prayed for assistance.

It was said that Najibullah filmed a video in which Rohde had to beg his freedom, while a guard pointed to his face a barrel of a machine gun.

Timor Shah was also charged with the charges of the hostages and Akhund Zada, who claimed he was one of six army guards who compelled the hostages to walk from Afghanistan to Pakistan. He said he was the leader of the hostages.

They have not been in arrest yet.

Since 2014, the indictment was sealed after the United States acquired it.

Bharara's counsel Preet.

In 2014 too, the Times claimed that Najibullah headed a community of Taliban journalists with a past that is portrayed as a militant spin-off.

In 2009, Ludin said in interviews to the Related Media that he was employed to schedule an interview and translate by the Times with a Taliban official.

He worked primarily for the Times of London as a journalist at the time.

Ludin said the captors, whose requests kept changing, were abusing and constantly intimidating him.

Rohde assured Ludin that he was not beaten and that Ludin had no proof of Rohde 's injury.

The men survived by jumping over the wall of a complex in North Waziristan, Pakistan. They fled their captors.

"Journalists are at risk with their life getting us reports from places of violence and no matter how long time can elapse, our commitment to identify and keep those who are threatening and hurting them and other Americans responsible can never decrease."