More Myanmar protests follow strike, foreign concerns

YANGON, Myanmar (AP)—On Tuesday after a call for a general strike, demonstrators in Myanmar came back to streets in the country's largest town to close down shops and demonstrate with a massive crowd.

Numbers decreased from Monday's large crowds, but about 1,000 people gathered in Yangon in the middle of the morning in Hledan Centre, a big location for demonstrators and other parties gathered at other venues.

Thet Naing Win, a 37-year-old, was shot dead by security forces on Saturday in Mandalay, the second-largest town in the world.

He and a teenager were killed when police and soldiers shot a crowd that had assembled to assist the dock workers, compelled to work by the authorities.

As part of a national civil obedience protest against Feb 1's military occupation, they went on strike, as did many civil servants and state business employees.

The military claims to have seized over since the referendum in November last year was marked by large vote irregularities, which was debunked by the State elections committee, whose representatives have since been replaced by the governing junta.

The National League of Democracy party of Aung San Suu Kyi claimed an awful win in polls that would have put its government in power for a second five-year term.

However, the military blocked parliament and arrested Suu Kyi and President Win Myint and other top cabinet officials.

The Junta said that it will govern in a state of emergency for a year and then schedule new elections.

On Monday there was a thriving diplomatic activity abroad as international interest was still high.

The US and other Western governments called on the junta to end violence, to free hostages and to restore the government of Suu Kyi.

On Monday, the United States said that sanctions were imposed on further junta officials by security forces because of the killings of peaceful demonstrators.

Lt. Gen. Moe Myint Tun and Maung Maung Kyaw add to the military representatives in other US sanctions and have taken similar measures from the coup by Great Britain and Canada.

US. U.S.

In a speech, US Secretary of State Antony Blinken condemned the attacks on demonstrators and promised to take more steps when there was more violence.

"We call on the military and police to stop all attacks on peaceful protestors, release all those who have been unfairly arrested, stop assaults and intimidation on journalists and activists, and restore the democratically elected government," Blinken said.

The Foreign Ministers of the European Union also directed the development of a set of steps to punish those responsible for the coup.

They said that the EU was able "to adopt restrictive measures targeting the direct perpetrators" of the coup.

They intend to "under review" all such alternatives, those sanctions generally include freezing the properties of citizens and banning them from going to Europe.

The ministers demand that the state of emergency be lifted and all political prisoners be freed.

Ministers claim that all restrictions levied by the EU are not meant for ordinary citizens.

O.N.

On the opening day of the new UN, secretary-general António Guterres reaffirmed his "full support for the people of Myanmar."

Session of the Human Rights Commission.

"Coups have no place in our modern world," Guterres said in a video for the 46th regular meeting of the Council.

At a special session on February 12 the Council adopted a resolution expressing its profound concern about the move of the Junta.

Internet service in Myanmar was blocked from 1 a.m. at night.

At 9 a.m.

Social network posts On Tuesday morning, further police raids in Yangon were confirmed to attempt to apprehend people related to the protest movement.

On Monday, the Independent Aid Group for Political Prisoners announced that since the coup, 684 people have been arrested, 637 are currently in custody.

Advertisement