ICE deports yet another Miami man accused of rape before he could stand trial

Immigration officers deported another accused rapist before the Miami State Court could stand trial.

The Miami Herald has confirmed that, even though he was still awaiting trial for two felony charges, one that was punishable by the life in prison, a 42-year old Alcedis Ortiz was charged with sexual assault on a 12-year-old girl.

He had been in detention for almost five months until he was deported on 28 September, verified Friday by an ICE spokesperson.

The expulsion happens only under two months after the United States authorities extradited another alleged rapist from Central America — after ICE officers kicked him out of the world in Miami before he was charged.

This is the first instance that the Miami Herald recorded as part of a series regarding ICE expulsion of convict state courts with open proceedings, blind Coral Gables officers, lawyers and victims themselves.

The pending lawsuits emphasize how Miami-Dade and those across the world have been disrupted by the draconian arrest and expulsion efforts of President Donald Trump's federal government.

Katherine Fernandez Rundle, State Attorney at Miami-Dade, stated that in the past four weeks, she and her counterparts in the ICE have introduced new procedures that improve communication so that defendant's deportation is not permitted to prosecute prosecutors.

However, Fernández Rundle said that she was frightened that Colombia had freed the child rapist accused.

Fernandez Rundle said "We seriously worry that other kids will be put in danger."

"It is clearly not our children that we can't allow to happen again in Colombia."

Despite the gravity of the pending lawsuit, ICE did not respond when questioned whether it wanted to deport Ortiz.

The public prosecution may also have requested Ortiz back to a nearby prison during the time that Ortiz was in detention.

They have not. They have not.

The bureau couldn't tell why.

Immigration agents also deported refugees for lengthy stretches accused of violent offences, but prioritized others who completed their terms under previous administrations.

Trump made the introduction of strict deportation laws a flagship agenda, casting a larger net to all who are deported and targeting so-called "hiding areas."

Increasingly, defendants is arrested and removed before the local trials ended, which are critical of the reality that Florida has been stripped of its right to justice – as well as the abuse of the possibility of unlawful indictment.

The amount of times ICE has deported immigrants in ongoing lawsuits in recent years is unknown.

The county correction department does not disclose the identification of people with "immigrant holdings"-ICE titles where anyone may be recalled. The county correction department references federal legislation.

Miami immigration and criminal defense prosecutor Evelyn Alonso said that these situations are not uncommon.

She said that if ICE lets anyone out of the facility, they rarely go back on trial until they have been deported. They rarely petition judges on return them.

"Any prisoners are permitted to escape punishment by being deported openly," Alonso said.

Last year, a variety of cases such as the Greek man suspected of killing a cat with a crossbow, a few men suspected of dealing in drugs and a man accused of theft told the Miami Herald.

Recently, a watchman convicted of robbing an old Coral Gables pair of $100,000 in family Jewels, was detained and deported promptly before his trial.

Miami prosecutor, Michael Catalano claimed that "the victims were angry." "The victims were angry.

"They decided to be sentenced for max five years."

Orozco Werner

Restaurant manager Werner Orozco, who was convicted of assaulting a woman in Coral Gables, was the most significant occurrence.

ICE officers took him free from the prison within days before he was able to file bail, and in less than two weeks he was returned to Guatemala.

He left Guatemala later and was found employed in a bar in Bimini.

He was later arrested in Panama by authorities, who in August were extradited back to Miami.

Unlike Orozco, Ortiz was not deported automatically, but was in Krome struggling to remain in the United States for those months.

In February, Ortiz was originally convicted, after a 14-year-old told the police at least four times when she was 12.

Ortiz admitted crimes when he was confronted by a detective, according to a Miami-Dade police arrest report.

Judge Mark Blumstein from the Miami-Dade Circuit, photographed here at the 2019 court trial.

Nevertheless Judge Mark Blumstein of the Miami-Dade Circuit awarded him a prison bond following weeks of court disputes over his fitness for house arrest regardless of his immigration status.

He never got out. He never got out of it.

ICE officers picked him up from a Miami-Dade prison on 26 May, sending him to the Krome Detention Center, which typically houses multiple illegal immigrants.

While the lawyers wanted to hold him in a nearby hospital, they never demanded a judge to submit — simply a decision of the court to decision him back to prison once he was in ICE care.

Joseph Nascimento, his defense attorney, said: "I do not know about the State's efforts to maintain him in his country.

Ortiz applied for asylum, according to his lawyer, saying he feared he would go back to Colombia for his lives.

Nascimento claimed that the appeal was rejected and he was ordered deported by an immigration court.

Nascimento said, "He was hopeful to resolve his case, and hopeful to stay here.

"In Colombia he didn't want to be."

Advertisement