JOS, Nigeria (Reuters) – Eight people were killed & around 100 needed hospital treatment after inhaling chlorine gas following an explosion at a water treatment plant in Jos, a city in central Nigeria, the state government said on Saturday.
A chlorine cylinder exploded at the Lamingo Water Board treatment plant around 4 a.m. (0300 GMT) on Saturday, Plateau state spokesman Samuel Nanle said.
"Eight people have been confirmed dead as a result of the inhalation of the contaminated air," he said, adding that 101 people had received hospital treatment for chlorine inhalation.
p> "The contamination has been contained & does not affect the water which has been supplied to public mains," said Nanle.
(Reporting by Buhari Bello, additional reporting by Isaac Abrak in Abuja; Writing by Alexis Akwagyiram; Editing by Ros Russell)