Firefighter loses hand to flesh-eating bacteria

Firefighter loses hand to flesh-eating bacteria

NEWPORT, R.I. (AP) — A Rhode Island firefighter who received an infection after being pricked by a thorn has lost his hand to flesh-eating bacteria.

Thirty-two-year-old Braden Leonard, of Newport, says he was biking in Ballard Park in June when he fell & a thorn pricked his right hand.

The nine-year veteran of the Johnston Fire Department had inflammation, fever & fatigue, & his friends persuaded him to go to the emergency room.

p>Doctors diagnosed the rare necrotizing fasciitis, commonly known as a flesh-eating infection. They amputated the hand to stop the infection's spread. He was in the hospital for 10 days.

Leonard tells WJAR-TV (http://bit.ly/1wIuUug ) he's in satisfactory spirits & feels lucky to be alive. He says he hopes to be fitted with a prosthetic & return to his job as a firefighter.

HealthDisease & Medical Conditionsflesh-eating bacteria

Source: “Associated Press”

Share and Enjoy

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Delicious
  • LinkedIn
  • StumbleUpon
  • Add to favorites
  • Email
  • RSS