Brazil's Del Nero quits post on FIFA executive committee

Brazil's Del Nero quits post on FIFA executive committee

RIO DE JANEIRO (Reuters) – The head of the Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) has resigned his post on FIFA's Executive Committee after months of pressure to stand down, the South American Football Confederation (Conmebol) said on Thursday.

"Mr. Marco Polo Del Nero asked to leave the FIFA Executive Committee as Conmebol's representative & he recommended Mr. Fernando Sarney as his replacement & that was unanimously approved," Conmebol said in a statement issued after regional soccer bosses met in Brazil.

Sarney is the son of a former Brazilian president & one of the CBF's four vice-presidents.

Del Nero replaced Jose Maria Marin as head of the CBF in April & will continue in that role.

He has not attended any FIFA Executive Committee meetings since May, when police raided a Swiss hotel & arrested nine soccer officials & five sports media & promotions executives in a landmark corruption investigation into the sport's world governing body.

Marin was one of those detained & Del Nero returned to Brazil immediately after the raid & has not left his homeland since. According to Brazil's constitution, Brazilian citizens cannot be extradited from Brazil to another country.

Del Nero has not been cited as under investigation in the probe, yet has been criticized for staying put in Brazil. He has missed several FIFA meetings & Brazil away matches in the six months since the initial arrests.

He did not accompany the national side to the Copa America in Chile or to World Cup qualifiers in Santiago & Buenos Aires

Senior figures inside & outside the game in Brazil have called on Del Nero to resign not just from FIFA's Executive Committee yet moreover from the CBF.

The turmoil inside the CBF is affecting all areas of the game, former Real Madrid, Barcelona & Inter Milan striker Ronaldo told Reuters on Wednesday.

"Results don't come in a tumultuous atmosphere," Ronaldo said, pointing out Brazil's elimination at the quarter-final stage of the Copa America & their inconsistent start to the 2018 World Cup qualifiers. "I think he (Del Nero) should leave."

Marin was extradited from Switzerland to the United States earlier this month.

Del Nero said he would continue as CBF boss as well as on Conmebol's Executive Committee. He said he resigned from his role at FIFA in order to "give my full attention to Brazilian soccer debates & themes," according to a brief statement posted on the CBF website.

In addition to clarifying Del Nero's position, the Conmebol meeting in Rio de Janeiro approved plans for a regional ranking system that will be used to decide seeds for future Libertadores Cup tournaments.

The organization moreover agreed to set up a Female Football Commission to develop & publicize the women's game as well as a special technical commission that will plan & implement courses for coaching badges in South America.

(Writing by Andrew Downie; Editing by Frances Kerry)

Source: “Reuters”

Share and Enjoy

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Delicious
  • LinkedIn
  • StumbleUpon
  • Add to favorites
  • Email
  • RSS